CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tara's Master Bedroom

I got a phone call one day from a sweet husband named Matt who wanted to do something special for his wife, Tara, and mother of three young boys. He saw things I'd done at my friend Niki's house and wanted to know if I could makeover their master bedroom. Yes! They were great to work with. Tara was so surprised when I came to her door with my paint samples and notebook. She expressed that she wanted something romantic and calming (a no kid and no dog zone;). First we picked out this paint color: a Sherwin-Williams gray-brown. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures before they painted the walls, but it was painted a "builder's tannish-beige". Then we decided that the oak furniture should be painted black. Isn't it crazy how just painting the walls and furniture make the room look totally different?! 

Then the fun began: shopping for bedding and accessories for their room. My first stop was at my "old-faithful-I-know-I'll-find-good-stuff": Marshall's! It didn't let me down. I found three curtain panels with silver grommets on clearance and a great pair of lamps. I threw in a wicker basket, a beautiful chocolate brown pillow, and huge glass candle holder too.

Next stop: Target. Tara told me that she really liked the romantic look of the kissing pleats bedding from there. There were three color choices, and I decided on the white since the walls, furniture, and curtains were on the darker side. I knew white would keep it light and fresh. I don't normally love a bed-in-a-bag but this one looked great and when you're on a budget it's really cost effective! I also found a sheet set in a beautiful shade of blue that blended nicely with the curtains and the softest silvery gray blanket you've ever felt to add to the luxurious feel I wanted for Tara. I picked up silver, chunky curtain rods, a white pillar candle, and small glass lamp.

I really needed something to make a big impact over the bed. They didn't have a headboard. I remembered that Gordman's often has unique decor items that are very reasonably priced. I was thrilled to find a 'sunburst' mirror there! I love it! It added just the right touch to the room plus it looks great against the wall color. While in Gordman's I found the little Eiffel tower statue (romantic, right?) and "It's a Wonderful Life" plaque. 
Last stop is a local discount decor store called House to Home: the perfect place for grasses and things. I found the antique-looking dress form and grass for vases there. 
Here's a breakdown of what I spent:

Marshall’s: 2 lamps, brown pillow, 3 curtain panels, glass vase, wicker basket
$136.91
Target: sheets, blanket, bed-in-bag, 3 curtain rods, glass lamp and shade, white candle, cherries
$281.30
Gordman’s: mirror, Eiffel tower, “It’s a Wonderful Life” decor
$77.01
House to Home: dress form, greenery
$31.03
Total: $526.25

Then, I "shopped" her house for extra things I could use. She had a pretty red vase from Southern Living at Home and the gorgeous wedding picture! Niki came over to Tara's and helped me put it all together. We kept Tara out of the room until the "big reveal" (I felt like we were on HGTV for a minute;).


 BEFORE: Try to envision beige walls...You can see her comforter on the floor- not bad, but she was tired of it.










4 comments:

  1. gorgeous, even better in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need you to come live with me in my new house and fix it! :) Love everything you do and I'm getting great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Brooke! You are always full of wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! Thanks:)