CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 5, 2011

BIG Tranformation at Shannon's House!

Shannon and I have been friends for years, but we only had hung out at my house, work, or restaurants until about six months ago, so the first time I went to her house my impression was that it didn't fit her bright, fun, bubbly personality at all! She said that she hadn't bought anything for her home in years, so the next month I began a big makeover of her downstairs-- living room, dining room, kitchen, master bedroom/bath, entry way, front porch, and patio! I helped her to eliminate the the things that weren't working-- outdated rugs, lamps, wall decor, ect, make an extensive shopping list, and pick out paint colors for the kitchen and master suite (the rest of the area is painted with a warm neutral, Tobacco Road). Next, she and I both shopped A LOT. She wanted to use browns, greens, and reds. I had a blast doing this! We even had a family sleepover one night with them so that we could work long after our girls were in bed and our hubbies just hung out and helped when we needed them. Great times and priceless memories!

Here are some before pictures:

Oak cabinets get updated!
View from entryway
We added new bath rugs to our shopping list.
Outdated rug
Rug that didn't go with new color scheme
Another rug that is no longer with us;)
Shannon was tired of the leather sofa and loveseat.
She wanted something more on the comfy side.
We removed this mirror and replaced the pulls to update this dresser. It looks so much better now!
This chest got new oil-rubbed bronze pulls too.
Need new bedding....
I rearranged furniture to help make the most of their living room.
Before...
garage sale pile!

Our kiddos after a long day of shopping and fun! :)
 After pics:

cute little garden flag by front porch for a 'homey' feel
"S" bronze wreath hanger for a personal touch
I ordered this boxwood wreath from etsy.com's twoinspireyou shop. Simple and pretty!
Entryway: I didn't get a picture of the rug, but I used a cute khaki and orange striped jute rug. We found this table at Kirkland's, the lamp at Gordman's, and the bird and awesome mirror at a local home decor outlet store.
I hung this pretty turquoise cross by the front door.
The entry way has a high ceiling so I used this metal scroll hanging for a little interest. 
The master bedroom was being used as a workout and TV room before we started redecorating (The workout equipment found a new home in the garage and the bedroom furnitue was moved back downstairs making way for an upstairs playroom for the girls). It was painted sage green. I chose this Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray for the walls. I tried to keep it simple and relaxing by choosing soft colors and accenting with blues and greens.
I love these unique bedside tables (Gordman's) and big apple green lamp (Kirkland's). We found a huge box of old Reader's Digest books in the attic- Love them! The cross is from Hobby Lobby.
Shannon picked up the "happily ever after" sign at Gordmans, and I found the quilt and shams and sheet set at Target. The bird pillow (Shannon's favorite) is something I found at Marshall's.
Chest-top decor... Love the clock and vase-- the greenery is unusual and looks great with the green lamps!
There were NO curtains in the house, so it was fun to see what a HUGE difference hanging curtains makes! The bedroom curtains are chocolate brown linen with grommets from Target. 
We needed something large above the bed. We got this scrolly metal artwork for 50% off at Hobby Lobby!
Such a cozy room to relax in!!
The master bathroom was painted the same soft gray. I kept this room simple too by just adding new rugs (I LOVE these gray and white medallion rugs that we got ON SALE at Macy's) and gray towels.
We got this huge apothecary jar on our Hobby Lobby run and filled it with cotton balls. Love that black and white picture of Shannon, Mitchell, and Caitlin!
AND for a pop of green to help coordinate the bed and bath, I added this large green wreath to the bathroom wall. I added a little extra interest by hanging it on a black wreath wall hanger (kinda hard to see in the picture).
The living room, dining room, and kitchen are very open so I opted to use the same curtains for all three rooms. I found these 'spice' colored panels with grommets at Bed, Bath, & Beyond (I always buy the longer length for a more custom look, usually 96 inches).
Shannon and I both bought some interesting mirrors, so I used them for a grouping. This pic is kinda dark, but that's a trunk between the windows topped with chocolate brown pillows with orange/red accents that I got a Marshall's for $8/pair!
The living room is a little awkward due to a staircase (behind this couch) and an off-centered fireplace-- arranging the furniture was tough! Shannon found this chenille chocolate brown COMFY couch at Big Lots. The throw pillows are from Burlington Coat Factory and Marshall's. The wall art is a mix of items from Target, Gordman's, and thrift stores (I repainted an old gold-framed mirror to make it a chalkboard). Lamp, Target.
View from entryway.
The rug was ordered from target.com. It had all the colors we were trying to incorporate in her home! Shannon said she gets lots of compliments on it.
They already had this pair of chairs. The accessories shown in this picture were purchased at Target, Gordman's, Kirkland's, Goodwill, Marshall's, and House to Home.
The lantern on the coffee table is from Gordman's (I think I used it at two other houses recently;).
Shannon and I are cry babies when we are together! We can tear up about anything-- she cried when she read this sign.
View from dining room.
They already had this table and chairs; we just moved them from the breakfast nook to the dining room. Previously, there was a more formal table here. I love this table and how it looks now with all the 'trimmings.'
The jumping off point for this was this super-cute table runner from Pier 1. 
The scalloped chargers are from House to Home (local decor outlet); the plates, napkins, and rings are from Target.
Love the details on the table runner!!
We took the hutch off of this console table. I painted this mirror black (before it was gold and  hung over the couch) and propped it against the wall. The great lamp is another Marshall's find; the cloche is from Hob Lob and is filled with pears; and the bird print is from Gordman's.
I ordered the moss-covered "S" from etsy.com's spotted leopard shop.
Shannon had these 'blooming yellow' sticks already so I added them to a black vase I found in her attic, I think.
Instead of having two table practically side my side, we made this breakfast nook, which is right between the dining room & kitchen, into a sitting area by using a chair that Shannon had recovered (it was her grandmother's), a fabric-rimmed jute rug, some baskets of magazines, a ruffled pillow, and a side table (Gordman's), and lamp (thrift store). 
Love the little bronze bird:)
Shannon and Mitchell love this colorful painting of the romantic couple in the rain. Sweet:)
We did some major lamp shopping, didn't we?! (about 10 to be exact!) Look at those gorgeous ladies!
The kitchen cabinets were traditional oak, so they had them painted to match their dining table/chairs. And added pulls!
I love this kitchen rug! (Marshall's)
The kitchen was repainted chocolate brown. We found these fun prints at Pier 1 (on sale!)
Girly, ruffly apron is hanging on a hook in kitchen.
We updated the laundry room/garage door entry way a little by adding wicker baskets for storage and this cute laundry sign (Hobby Lobby 50% off).
I love black frames with white mats! I got these for the hallway at Wal-Mart. Love these snow day pictures of Caitlin & Mary Catherine!!
Shannon spray painted her patio furniture and added neutral cushions. It is wonderful on that patio- makes you just want to hang out for a while! 
Makes me even more ready to get my patio whipped into shape.
I took this picture at night, obviously, so the lighting is bad. I wanted to show how cool this enormous umbrella with twinkly lights is! It covers the entire patio. Makes ya feel like you're on vacation:)

9 comments:

  1. One word: WOW. (Wanna come do my house next?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another awesome job by Brooke! I can tell you spent a lot of time and it definitely paid off! You can come to my house anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks positively FAB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the changes!!! You need to come to my house girl! I love your style too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks soooo good! I'd like one of everything you bought for her house!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks fabulous! What a fun project for friends to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just ran across this blog while trying to google search the painting of the couple under the red umbrella! Do you have it? Do you happen to know who the artist is or the name of the print? I found it at Homegoods a while back, but now it's gone! If you can help me out I'd really appreciate it - my email address is melissyann@gmail.com. Please let me know if you happen to have any of the info on it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, my question is the same as Mel's. A dear friend has been searching high and low for this painting, and even the name of the artist would be very helpful. She too had seen it in a home decor store, there had been three of them, and when she came back for it, they were sold out! Any information would be hugely helpful! My email is iamwebdiva@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! Thanks:)